View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Colts Having a Difficult Week

The Indianapolis Colts got back to focusing on football on Friday, but it was not easy. Assistant head coach Jim Caldwell again ran practice while Tony Dungy stayed in Tampa.

It has been a very difficult week for the Colts after it was learned that head coach Tony Dungy’s son James had died. A preliminary autopsy report Friday indicated that James Dungy took his own life, but the exact cause of death won't be released until a toxicology examination is finished in four to six weeks.

For the Colts, whose 13-1 record is the NFL's best this has been a rough week. They have to answer questions about their first loss of the season, Tarik Glenn was mistakenly awarded a Pro Bowl spot, then had it taken away, and now the news of Tony Dungy’s son’s death.

"The great thing about it is that this team is a great reflection of its head coach, they emulate him to a 'T' in certain respects," assistant coach Jim Caldwell said. "Especially when there's some adversity and this is a very tough time."

"They're professionals, when they take the field, they want to win," Caldwell said. "So it's a matter of professional pride, and also our head coach expects us to go out and play hard and play well."

Caldwell announced three starters — record-setting receiver Marvin Harrison, Pro Bowl linebacker Cato June and starting right tackle Ryan Diem — would not travel to Seattle. Also expected to sit are defensive linemen Corey Simon and Robert Mathis, who both have foot injuries. Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders (back) and defensive tackle Montae Reagor.

And it is also expected that Peyton Manning won’t play much. "I'm excited, it's about time," backup quarterback Jim Sorgi said Monday. "I've been ready to play all year. I'm excited about getting some time and some significant time."