View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Giants Looking to Win NFC East Title

Eli Manning and the New York Giants need to get a big win on the road in order to guarantee an NFC East title and a home playoff game.

If the Giants (10-5) lose on Saturday against the Raiders and the Redskins win at Philadelphia on Sunday, Washington would win the division and New York would have to hit the road as a wild-card team.

"Obviously there's less pressure because it's not a win-or-lose situation where at least we're going to the playoffs," Manning said. "But, we feel we need to win the division. We need to try to get a home game for that first playoff game."

Manning had a chance to wrap up the division last week at Washington, but he went 23-for-41 for 244 yards with a touchdown and an interception in a 35-20 loss to the Redskins.

"That's been one of our goals from the beginning of the season and it would be a big accomplishment for this team," Manning said of winning the East. "It's been in our sights the past couple of weeks and now it's here for us to have if we want it. It's just a matter of whether we can go out there and play football well enough."

"I've had some good games and bad games," Manning said. "I think I've been putting our team in situations to win most games in the fourth quarter. That's been one of my goals. But I have to improve my play in all aspects for us to have a chance to do well in the playoffs."

"He's a very unique individual. He's his own man," Coughlin said. "He has outstanding self-confidence. He has poise, poise under pressure. He has an ability not to be rattled. He can display that when he's on the field or with the media or wherever. He's a young man who has learned greatly from the experiences that he has noticed and followed in terms of his father and his brother."

At 4-11, the Raiders are playing for very little. Coach Norv Turner has done a rotten job and may not be back. Kerry Collins has played poorly most of the year, and the Raiders are a mess. Playing against the Giants and Eli Manning gives the Raiders some motivation. "It's fun getting after a guy of such high status in this league," Raiders linebacker Danny Clark said. "He comes from a great bloodline. Any time you line up against Peyton or Eli, you kind of want to step your game up. He's a darn good player and we look forward to getting after him a little bit."

Manning will be without one of his favorite targets as Tight end Jeremy Shockey missed practice all week and will not play.