View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Penn State vs. Florida State Tonight in Orange Bowl

The two winningest coaches in major college history meet tonight as No. 3 Penn State takes on No. 22 Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

"For somebody to say it's not a big deal, I think they'd be lying," Florida State running back Lorenzo Booker said. "This is like a once-in-a-lifetime deal, and it's not going to happen for another century. We won't be alive, because you have to coach a long time to do what these guys have done.

"It's something you can tell your grandkids," Booker added. "That you actually played for the guy that won the most and played against the guy that was second on the list."

Bobby Bowden has the most victories with 359, while Joe Paterno is right behind at 353. They're both in their 40th year as head coaches, with Paterno spending all of his time at Penn State and Bowden in his 30th season in Tallahassee.

"I'm going to look across the sidelines and say `That's JoePa,'" Seminoles running back Leon Washington said. "I'm just proud to be a part of it. I can tell my son or my daughter that I played in that game. I can tell my grandkids that I played against JoePa."

"I don't look at it as something personal," Paterno said Monday. "All I wanted to do was make sure everyone knew that we have a good football team."

"The thing about great teams is if you don't finish the story, it ain't going to be a story that's going to be remembered," Penn State cornerback and tri-captain Alan Zemaitis said. "We go out with a loss, it's going to feel like everything we did, in essence, was nothing. We brought a lot of stuff back. But for our seniors, for the young guys, we've got to go out with a win."