View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Will Tampa Bay’s Dominance of Washington End?

The Washington Redskins haven’t had much luck against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in recent history, but they are hoping to change that this weekend.

The Redskins lost a one-point decision to the Bucs earlier this year and they blew a 13 point lead back in 1999 in the NFC playoffs, losing 14-13.

"It was exciting because it was my rookie year," Jansen recalled. "We obviously had a terrific season and won the division and things seemed to be going real well. Just to have things fall apart like that in the second half, you realize to some extent what home-field advantage means."

The earlier meeting this season was a classic, as Tampa Bay won 36-35 on Mike Alstott's 2-point conversion run with 58 seconds left.

After losing their next two games to fall to 5-6, the Skins put together a five-game winning streak to earn a postseason berth for the first time since make that last trip to Tampa as NFC East champs.

"I don't necessarily look at the 2-point conversion. I look at the opportunity that we gave them to have the 2-point conversion," Jansen said. "If we get a first down when we have the ball, we're able to take a knee later in the game and end it on our terms. As an offensive line, we didn't provide that opportunity. That's what sticks with me."

That victory was a turning point in Tampa Bay's season, sparking the team's second-half surge to the NFC South title at 11-5, and the two point conversion try at the end of the game is still talked about today.

"I don't know if it was a no-brainer," Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden said. "I've never done that before, and you don't see it done very often, where a team goes for it. But we did get a penalty, and the ball wasn't at the 2, it was at the 1.

"We had previous success on the goal line, and they had been moving the ball quite well, honestly. We felt that was our best chance to win the game. ... Looking back on it, I feel like it was a logical decision more than anything."

It was smart on his part, but it still took guts," Washington head coach Joe Gibbs said. "I kind of admire him for doing that."

The Bucs are back in the playoffs after a two-year absence, so this weekend’s game should be high energy and very entertaining.