Old 09-12-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Injurie Updates

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/briefingroom

Most notably:

Reggie Hayward
Defensive End
Jaguars
News:
Heyward left the game in the third quarter with an Achilles' tendon injury, reports the Florida Times-Union. The team fears it may be season-ending.

Scouts Take:
Heyward is out for the year with a ruptured Achilles' tendon and that will hurt the defense. He was a big sign, last year, and had 8 1/2 sacks. Look for the Jags to replace him by committee. Marcellus Wiley will start, in his place and Rob Meier will end up playing both DT and DE. Player's Update Archive
Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 AM

Ouch! 33 tackles and 8.5 sacks from last year gone.
And looks like Trent Green is out for 4-6 weeks.
Also that special teams player for the Redskins is done after the first kickoff...that's too bad.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Oh also, James Geathers will not be fined for his hit on Trent Green. I didn't think it was illegal either, he was blocked in the back and Trent took too long to slide. Probably not used to the speed of the NFL in the first game of the season.

NFL won't discipline GeathersSeptember 13, 2006
NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL absolved Cincinnati defensive end James Geathers on Wednesday for his hit on Kansas City quarterback Trent Green, emphasizing quarterbacks are responsible for avoiding hits by sliding. Green sustained a serious concussion last Sunday after a hit by Geathers and will miss at least two or three games.

"The injury ... was unfortunate and has drawn much commentary, but it is not a foul," Ray Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president, said in a statement.

Anderson said a review of the play in Kansas City showed Green started "a late slide" as Geathers prepared to tackle him. At the same time, Geathers was blocked in the back by a Chiefs player, was no longer in control of his body and twisted in order to avoid driving his helmet into Green or hitting him helmet-to-helmet.
Geathers' right shoulder, however, hit Green's shoulder and drove Green's head into the ground.
In a memo sent to all 32 teams Anderson said: "On sliding quarterback plays, the responsibility of defenders is to avoid a sliding quarterback while the responsibility of the quarterback is to use the protection properly. This rule will continue to be strictly enforced, and violations are likely to result in disciplinary action."
Anderson said quarterbacks who want to take advantage of the protection of a slide must start it before the prospect of imminent contact.
He cited a play in the Seattle-Detroit game as an example of an illegal hit. In that case, Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck broke out of the pocket and began a slide. Lions rookie linebacker Ernie Sims, who had the opportunity to avoid contact, drove his helmet into Hasselbeck while another defender, Cory Redding, jumped over the quarterback. Sims drew a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness. Anderson said the play is being reviewed for a possible fine.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 09-13-2006, 12:50 PM

i didnt think it was a bad hit either, even if he did leave his feet on his own, which he didnt, trent still wasnt down. the call i couldnt believe that got called unnecsiary roughness was during the miny game, it was a droped ball by miny and someone followed threw on the hit, i was rooting for them but i still thought it was a horrible call, sorry about the lack of specifics but i was drunk.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 PM

Wasn't that unneccesary roughness call a late hit on Brad Johnson?
Or was it on the receiver who dropped the ball?
I thought it was on Brad and it WAS a late hit.