Go Back   Legal Sports Betting Forum > News > Sports Betting News

User Name
Password Register

Old 12-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Indianapolis Colts: Play the Starters or Rest Them?

Will the Indianapolis Colts continue to play their starters once they clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs?

Head coach Tony Dungy said, "I don't think too far ahead, but I do everything I can to win," he said with a chuckle. "If we're fortunate enough to win, I'll do what I do every week. I'll ask for some wisdom from the Lord and pray that they don't get hurt."

The Colts are 12-0 and with a win on Sunday at Jacksonville they will clinch the division, a bye and home field advantage. What will they do with two-time MVP Peyton Manning, two-time rushing champ Edgerrin James and record-setting receiver Marvin Harrison. They lead the NFL in scoring and are averaging more than 35 points over the past nine games. Will they keep all the starters on the field? The defense has been good, too. The Colts have allowed the second-fewest points in the NFL (162) and lead the league in sacks (39).

What will Tony Dungy do? If he goes for the perfect record and someone like Manning or James gets hurt it may ruin the team’s chances at a Super Bowl title. But what if he holds them out and they lose a chance at the perfect season?

Those guys want to play, and they want to play all the time," Dungy said. "We don't let them vote, but we will take into consideration how they feel."

"There's not that many guys who have been in this situation," Dungy said. "The one guy I know is Mike Shanahan, and I don't think he'll tell me at this point. I think you have to analyze the situation and do what's best for your team."

"To be honest, I don't know how I'll handle it," he said. "You never really know 'til you get there."